Friday, August 19, 2011

Touchdown, Gratitude, and getting started. Tomorrow.

My arrival into the third world hell hole of London was as uneventful as could be! The streets, shown on TV as full of looters and all sorts of burning things only days before appeared normal. A few boarded up windows here and again, but nothing too alarming. I've been delayed yet another day here, trying desperately to get my phone unlocked and secure local data service before my bus leaves for New Castle tomorrow morning. I've been told suppertime tonight, that I can pick my phone up, and it SHALL BE DONE.... hopefully so! ( Note, it was not done, and I am now carrying a stupid phone with a UK number.)
There have been a lot of small irritations in the lift off, GPS not working, Tmobile failing to unlock my phone, clutch going out on the car on the way to the airport, but many joys as well. So many friends stopped by in the last days before my departure. Thank you all for the support, love, gifts... Im touched in the most indescribable of ways. I haven't even begun the journey yet and the tug of home is working on my heart.
Home is far away now and my gear is exploded all over the floor of David's guest room as I sift through it over and over again, trying for figure out what to leave behind. Food is even more expensive than I remembered, and the VAT tax has gone up to fund the Olympics, so the nuts and dark chocolate bars I got cheaply at BBs were packed first. Ive only seen the sun for a few minutes early this morning, and it's cold! Im so glad for the thermals and windbreakers. I'm packing a lot of my gear into zip lock bags in an effort to stay dry. Update: Im leaving for Scotland NOW. I need a Sherpa. How did this $%#^%# bag get so heavy?
The time in London has been grand. I've been to two fabulous restraunts, one turkish, one scottish, to the National Portrait Gallery and the Tate, and I've destroyed my liver. David's friends have been amazing and fun. I need to wash and the cab comes in 17 minutes. Haven't slept yet and this post is almost inarticulate, but I'm slapping it on the web anyway. Love to all.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm ... London, and two fabulous restaurants - one Turkish, one Scottish ... what, no Bubble and Squeak, for you? No Melton Mowbray pork pies? Okay, perhaps such fare is better suited for the colder months - but hey, think of popular chefs of today, and surely Jamie and Gordon spring to mind ('tho I admit a certain distaste [pardon the pun] for Gordon's personality). Hope the liver damage, at least, was via a good Plymouth Gin (much smoother than any London gin ...) http://www.fineartprintsondemand.com/artists/hogarth/gin_lane.jpg

    Happily looking forward to hearing about your hike along Hadrian's!

    ReplyDelete