Tuesday, September 5, 2017

A Soul at Rest

Leaving home was both harder than and easier than usual. I have made these types of journeys before, and the preparations went as smoothly as any I have ever made. And clearly this trip was meant to be made. Still, there were important things unfolding at home that took a lot of faith and hope to lay down long enough to be gone a few months.
These voyages are often lonely affairs for me. The lessons and insights have been spot on, but the desolation and emotional cost for those lessons was high. They are often physically hard as well. Many of my travels were fraught by injury and physical discomfort.
 I haven't even been gone a week yet and I have had a month's worth of adventure. But already, this voyage is much, much different than any undertaken. 
The difference this time is community. Friends continue to reve al themselves along my journey and offer hospitality and connection. Friends continue to send ideas for destinations along the quest.
Random strangers out of the blue talk to me and accommodate me. I was blown away yesterday at the Minnesota state fair. The fair was crowded, a sea of people as far as you could see. There was a huge line to get into the bean competition. At the start was a woman doing a demonstration of how the art was made. I entered at the wrong end and saw all of this in reverse and pretty well blocked traffic to boot. It was hot. Everyone had reason to be cranky. Yet this artist still took the time to actually hold her fragile art up close enough for my eyes to focus on it. She was applying the tiny seeds with a toothpick, one at a time. It was wonderful to see it and to experience it.
Each of my stops thus far has included a joyous reunion with an old friend or family member with the added gift of their new friends and family that I have never met. The delight is so pure and raw that I almost can't describe it. I have never felt so connected or appreciative of the world I am a part of.
Astounding.
Love.
More to come.


1 comment:

  1. Laura was struck by how /you/ you are and that you are the person she hoped you would be from the you she's gotten to know online.

    You're amazing Trebs. Much love.

    ReplyDelete